FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When are meetings held at the Ligonier site?
- Regular meetings of the Auxiliary are held on Thursdays, generally the third Thursday of the month. Notification of the exact date is sent by postcard to members one to two weeks prior to a meeting. The Auxiliary meeting usually begins at 11:00 A.M, followed by a luncheon at noon and a guest speaker at 1:00 P.M. There are also committee meetings and planning meetings scheduled for various purposes.
What is the cost of the luncheon?
- The luncheon, provided by a local caterer, costs $12.00 for members and $15.00 for guests. Reservations are required. Cancellations must be made by the Monday prior to the meeting to avoid a charge for the lunch.
Does a Ligonier Auxiliary membership entitle one to membership in the Southern Alleghenies Museum?
- Membership in the Ligonier Auxiliary does not include membership in SAMA. Auxiliary members are encouraged to join the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art. Donations and membership in the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art support all four museums in the system and allow them to keep their exhibitions open free to the public. Members receive information generated by Loretto regarding news, exhibitions and activities for all four sites.
How does the Auxiliary support the Southern Alleghenies Museum System?
- The Auxiliary collects yearly dues and accepts donations, as a 501 (C) (3) registered charitable organization. We also sponsor various fund raisers. The December Holiday Home Tour generates both revenue and interest in the community. In addition to beautifully decorated homes, the Ligonier Museum features the current exhibition, a comfort stop, homemade cookies, beverages and a raffle. The event typically draws from 200 to 500 visitors. In the future, the Auxiliary hopes to sponsor two events per year. Through these fund raisers and the collection of dues, the Auxiliary supports projects at the Ligonier facility.
- Each year, SAMA at Ligonier sponsors a fund raising event, usually a garden party which showcases our beautiful landscape. The members of the Auxiliary solicit and/or donate items for a silent auction, help name and chair the event and assist in the set-up of the actual party. Among the items highlighted in the silent auction, Auxiliary members have offered progressive dinners, receptions and various parties. All proceeds from the Garden Party go to the Southern Alleghenies Museum system.
What does the Auxiliary offer its members?
- Membership in the Auxiliary fosters new friendships, offers a variety of new experiences and promotes volunteerism. Members receive great satisfaction from knowing that their efforts enable the Ligonier Valley Museum and the other three facilities in the Southern Alleghenies Museum System to continue to remain open to the public free of charge.
Can the SAMA facilities at Ligonier be rented for private use?
- Yes, the facilities are available for events and are a popular place for showers and wedding photos. Reservations and information regarding rental of the facility are available in the museum office.
How will the Auxiliary contact and stay in touch with members?
- Members receive postcards from SAMA notifying them of upcoming events and reservation dates. Meeting agendas and meeting minutes can be sent via e-mail, but are also available at the site on scheduled meeting days. Be sure your correct address, telephone number and e-mail address are submitted to the Membership Committee so that you can be kept informed. A directory of Auxiliary members is produced every two years. Members can also get the latest information on the Auxiliary’s website at www.lmaux.org